Sunday, December 23, 2018

Tablestop Thoughts: 'Tis the Season!

This feels familiar, I need to stop being so self-aware anytime I sit down to write out a new blog. My last blog was way back in January and I was planning on completing a board gaming bucket list. I only squeaked about halfway through my list.

I have brought shame on my gaming household!!!

Seriously though, life's many twists and turns kept me rolling this year. Never really got settled in a rhythm with my work so I'd often come home and not feel upto gaming. The last quarter of the year has felt like a turn around, I got a promotion that moves work closer to home so beginning to feel a little more energetic toward my hobby. So lifting a glass toward 2019 in a hope that fortune favors the brave and I can get some games I missed to the table.

JUST TOO MUCH!

Having mentioned games I missed, other than reviewing my gaming bucket list, this year like the one before has brought so many new games into the world. It is a daunting task to keep up, and once you add in the quality games we already own or play, the idea of new stuff becomes almost ridiculous. 

Discussions with friends often turn to thoughts that many games we own could even be lifestyle games. You could certainly survive on just a few great titles for months.

If you think about it, families across the world break out Monopoly, Risk, Clue, over and over again - and I would say a quiet majority is quite happy with that status quo. This is especially prevalent during this festive time of year as we all get together with loved ones. Why learn rules for these new titles on our shelves when you already know how to collect $200 when you pass GO!

At the end of the day it is the experience that brings us together around our wooden alters. It doesn't matter what cardboard chits or paper monies lie between us. It's the laughs, smiles and occasional knives in the back that we remember. Just remember that when your brother rolls those doubles sixes and takes back Western Australia from you, that he does it from a place of love.

Merry Christmas!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment