Thursday, September 10, 2015

The Weekly Route - Travelling through time and crafting brews

The Weekly Route is never planned, sometimes there may be lots of stops and occasionally just one or two. This is where I like to take a look back at the previous week and check out the stops my gaming hobby took me to.

As always thanks to all that make this journey possible each week through my gaming groups.

Timeline/Cardline
Gaming as a learning and teaching tool is certainly something that is often unique among many games but a method that can open gaming upto families and new gamers. I had never played the Timeline series before, put off by it's simplicity but I was won over by the detail in the artwork on the tiny cards and the way the game can get a family around the table together playing. The game is simple, you have a hand of cards that represent events during history and you have to play all of your cards correctly into an ever growing timeline on the table. There are several versions of the game dealing with unique themes and they can all be potentially combined into an uber-game. Looking forward to an new announced version called Timeline Challenge, which includes a player board and tokens but no details on the rules yet.

Libertalia
Yee-arrr! It's a pirate's life for me! Sailing the seven seas and fighting other ships for the share of the booty. This card placing and semi-trick taking game brings out the theme fantastically with take-that rounds as cards are revealed. Players secretly play role cards to choose order in which they can grab at the booty each day, but some special powers can change what was played or even kill off opponents crew members. Over 3 separate campaigns you attempt to amass the most booty. At times the game feels a little stretched but with the right group and attitudes it'll be fun, keeping the player count down to four may also help.

Arcadia Quest
Imaging Gauntlet the arcade game as a board game where there are teams of adventurers fighting one another for gold, then you have Arcadia Quest. There is a light back story to the game involving the rise of a Vampire Lord who is bringing turmoil to the city of Arcadia. Each player runs a guild of heroes fighting one another for renown in cleaning the streets of goblins and orcs on their way to defeat the Vampire Lord. Each scenario has a mix of PvP and PvE objectives for your guild to complete, achieve a mix of 3 of these and you win that round. The combat system is fun and tense, helped by exploding dice, where rolling critical hits mean you get to re-roll dice and add to your damage.  This game is an absolute blast and a close 2nd choice for my game of the week.

CHOICE DESTINATION
An absolutely solid second play of this game last night, for those who I played with I apologize for my grumping while playing, definitely not a game to play when you're tired. But my choices each turn were consuming my brain. I went for a heavy tech and building strategy which meant trying to keep track of alot on my turn. In the end it paid off and garnered myself a win, certainly need to run at this again and see if it would work a second time. As a worker placement game I don't feel it does anything new but with this one it is the theme that comes through strong, you get the feel that you are brewing and pushing through sales and growing your brewing empire. The game itself is a work of master craftsmanship.

Other stops
Got my first win in Tzolk'in... Just couldn't find my rolls in Roll for the Galaxy... Played on the small side with Tiny Epic Kingdoms and The Builders... Introduced my family to Trains... Had my first run at Mr Jack.

No comments:

Post a Comment