Thursday, August 6, 2015

Weekly Route - From Chichen Itza to Mars

The Weekly Route is never planned, occasionally I may have a stop in mind but whether or not I'll get there is another thing. This is where I like to take a look back at the previous week and check some of the stops my gaming hobby took me to. And to see if I interested in stopping back at those games again in the future.

Tzolk'in
Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar
Starting off in an ancient civilization may not be the best place for some, but this fascinating take on worker placement has shot up my favorite games list.

The center piece of the game, and what makes it unique, is the gears on the board. Plastic gears that turn to advance the seasons. The main mechanic of the game is a simple as can be, you only have 2 choices. Either place workers on the gears or pick-up workers from those spots. It becomes a game all about timing it right, as the gears are turning the position of your workers and what they do change each round. With several routes to victory and that unnerving feeling that you are never doing quite enough to ensure victory this game can be a brain burner. Can't wait to return.

Alchemists
Alchemists
Got another chance to play this fantastic game, the blend of the logic problem style deduction pieced with worker placement makes me feel all funny inside. With limited choices to make each round and only working with what information you can garner from your tests, sometimes taking an educated guess to get your theory on the board can be crucial to staying in the hunt.

Brew Crafters
Brew Crafters
Can you be the first to brew a certain type of beer? Yes another worker placement game, can you guess my favorite mechanic yet? This is has to be one of the heaviest games I have played, lots of choices as you upgrade your brewery, tech-up your lab and collect resources to brew beer. This was our group's rookie play of it and we can see all the different choices that can be made as you grow your brewing empire.

Voyages of Marco Polo
Voyages of Marco Polo
Traveled from Italy all the way to the far eastern shores of the Pacific Ocean building trading routes using a worker dice placement mechanic. It feels like a heavier Ticket to Ride as you are given destination cards at the start of the game which help give you direction in the early rounds of the game as you set up trading posts. But that isn't key to success as the game lays many routes to victory.

Mission: Red Planet
Mission: Red Planet
This one was a first play for me this week and I eagerly await a second chance. The gameplay felt easy to get into and I can see how it would be a great gateway game to play with the family. In the game itself you are trying to get your astronauts to Mars and fight for control of the planet's resources. I played the original edition and with a new reprint coming from Fantasy Flight this year I hope I can pick up my own copy.


Other stops
Got a chance to run around Europe on the hunt for the Count in Fury of Dracula, had some fun although I feel it has potential to run a little long... Stopped in the wild west for a while and built up Carson City, definately one of my favorites... Failed to protect a village from vampires and ghouls while writing up Ghost Stories... Got a party going with Codenames an awesome deduction puzzle game with friends... Called everyone's bluff in Cockroach Poker, not sure if I like this one yet... Finally got some 2 player games under my belt, Dragonheart, Roma and the hard to find quilt making Patchwork.

No comments:

Post a Comment